We must believe that Jesus is the Son of God in order to have eternal life (John 20:30-31). How can we know for sure that Jesus is the Son of God? If Jesus really is the Son of God, we should expect Him to possess the nature and characteristics of deity.
• God is all-knowing. “Now we are sure that You know all things, and have no need that anyone should question You. By this we believe that You came forth from God” (John 16:30).
• God is all-powerful. “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth” (Matt. 28:18).
• God is all-present. “…and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age” (Matt. 28:20).
• God is holy. “Who committed no sin, nor was deceit found in His mouth” (1 Pet. 2:22).
• God is sovereign (the supreme ruler; above all things). “And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist” (Col. 1:17).
• God is eternal. “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God” (John 1:1-2).
• God is immutable (does not change). “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever” (Heb. 13:8).
• God is forgiving. “Then He said to her, ‘Your sins are forgiven’” (Luke 7:48).
Jesus certainly fits the profile of deity. He was everything on earth in the flesh that God is. “For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily” (Col. 2:9).
by Heath Rogers